The following rules apply to ALL THREE YEAR OLDS and ANY HORSE THAT IS FOUR YEARS OLD OR OLDER AND HAS NEVER STARTED.
If your horse has already started with an official lip tattoo, nothing more is required. Any horse that does not have a lip tattoo must be digitally tattooed.
- Before digital tattooing can begin: A veterinarian must implant the microchip that was provided by the Jockey Club. Do not implant another microchip if the horse already has a microchip implanted.
- Digital tattooing: The owner or trainer is responsible for making arrangements with the TRPB representative to take digital photos of each horse (i.e., “tattoo” it). The representative will be at the Fonner Park facility beginning February 18. You may contact the Racing Office to set up an appointment.
- The owner or trainer MUST HAVE THE REGISTRATION PAPERS PRESENT when the photographs are taken.
- Photos taken as foals do not qualify as authorized photos for digital tagging; the photos must be taken during a horse’s racing age.
- The cost of this is $80, the same as a lip tattoo. The horseman’s account will automatically be charged to pay for the tattooing.
3. Paddock identification: On race day, bring the horse to the paddock as usual. The racing officials will scan the horse’s microchip to be properly identified.